Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Beams and Flooring and Ceilings, Oh My!

So the other day we went and picked up our flooring from Lowe's and also got wood from Menards for the beams Brian is making so that we can take down some walls.

Our Trailer- Load

Oh, and we bought kitchen knobs and pulls at Menards too! The boys really enjoyed this shopping trip.

Brian let them stand in the cart while he pushed them. I was freaking out and telling him it was dangerous, but I let them have fun anyway and took a picture. 

Ok so now for a sneak peak...of the flooring!

It is called Handscraped Vintage Antique Bamboo (from Lowe's).

Now to the dirty work...We have popcorn ceilings in our living room and since our kitchen does not have popcorn ceilings and we are taking a wall down we needed to do something. So naturally, we decided to scrape the popcorn off of the ceilings. 

I taped the whole room off in plastic. They sell plastic with painter's tape already attached, but I didn't buy it because, well, it was more expensive. It would have saved me a ton of time though, and probably would have been worth it. The things we learn. :)

Brian, getting ready to enter the Room of Doom (literally).

My popcorn-scraping Hero. 
I helped too. We were in it together. It was terrible. I mean really terrible. It was hot and hard and I never want to scrape a ceiling again. But, we did it. 

The couple who scrapes ceilings together, stays together :)

It made an absolute mess.

After all that hard work, I started sanding the ceiling so that we could make them match our other flat ceiling. After 10 mins. I knew this job would take me days. So we decided, "why not buy tongue and groove wood to put on the ceilings?" 



I think it is going to look great. Brian wants to leave it natural and I want to paint it white. Any opinions or suggestions???

Brian built beams to put in the attic so that we could take the wall down between the living room and kitchen. With the help of friends, he was able to get them on the roof and installed in the attic. 

This is me on the roof pretending to lift a heavy beam. The funny thing is that my legs look disconnected from my body. Photo credit: Brian. Well played, Husband, well played.



Up next...Walls will be coming down! :)














No comments:

Post a Comment