Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Blind Eyes

    Since I've been on bed rest I have had a lot of time to read and ponder on the words of Jesus. I've been learning a lot about being still and listening to what He is saying. I thought I would go ahead and share what He has been speaking to my heart.
    I was reading the story in John where Jesus heals a man who was born blind. The Pharisees are questioning this man about Jesus. I was taken by his profound response.
    "The man answered and said to them, 'Well, here is an amazing thing, that you do not know where He is from, and yet He opened my eyes. We know that God does not hear sinners; but if anyone is God-fearing and does His will, He hears him. Since the beginning of time it has never been heard that anyone opened the eyes of a person born blind. If this man were not from God, He could do nothing.' They answered him, 'You were born entirely in sins, and you are teaching us?' So they put him out"
(John 9:30-34)
     It is clear the ears of the Pharisees are ears that do not want to listen, unteachable, deaf ears. The blind man's logic makes so much sense, yet they are so blind in their own ways they do not see and miss out on experiencing the beauty of the Lord. They feel threatened and are too proud to have their ways changed, causing them to push away the most Glorious One. They are robbing themselves of all that God wants for them because they refuse to listen.
    These are the questions that I contemplate as I refeclt on this story:

    How many times are we like the Pharisees, refusing to listen to the sweet voice of Jesus, denying ourselves of all He has for us?
    Are we willing to lay down our prideful hearts and truly listen to Him so we can fully experience His beauty?

No comments:

Post a Comment